The excessive usage of some beauty products can be detrimental to your skin. If you must use any product, ensure you consult your dermatologist or make sure they are brands that are approved by skin experts.
READ ALSO: Top 5 Anti-ageing Skin Care Tips
According to Dr Kiran Godse, Consultant Dermatologist, Hiranandani Hospital, Vashi – A Fortis Network Hospital, using the items listed below can leave you with numerous skin problems.
- Lightening/Whitening/Fairness Creams: Most skin-lightening creams contains loads of hydroquinone, steroids, and retinoid. Prolonged use of these products can cause skin thinning, bruising, white spots and Hypersensitive Skin. It can also lead to a skin condition called Melasma. Malasma is a Pigmentary Skin Disorder characterized by macular pigmentation of the face involving the cheeks, upper lips, and the forehead in changing combinations.
- Hydroquinone: This is a skin bleaching cream often used by the public for fairness and to treat age spots, freckles & other skin discolorations. Using this cream can lead to burning, irritation, and depigmentation (loss of pigment).
- Nylon Brush for scrubbing skin: These can cause Nylon Brush Dermatitis. Symptoms may include dark-colored patches on hands, legs and all friction areas. The pigmentation is usually bluish black and is often seen on the inner ends of the collar bones and at the bulge seen at the back of the wrist.
- Steroids: Some common steroids being used as OTC for skin conditions include Betamethasone, Clobetasol and Mometasone. Most people use these products without the supervision of a dermatologist. These steroids can lead to thinning of the skin, bruising and pigmentation. Using steroids excessively causes ‘Steroid Rosacea’, which is classified as redness on the nose, cheeks, forehead, and chin.
- Salicylic Acid: These creams are often used to treat Ringworm and Warts. They can cause irritation, ulcers and dark patches on the body.
- Formaldehyde: This is commonly used as a preservative in cosmetics. It is carcinogenic and can badly affect the Immune System.
- Dithranol or Derobin: This ingredient is used to treat a variety of skin diseases, they often cause irritation, redness and black spots on the body.
- Parabens: Parabens can be found in makeup, deodorant, facial cleansers, and other beauty products. They are used as a preservative. Parabens mimic Estrogen in the body and can, therefore, affect the reproduction.
- Fragrance: Most beauty products contains frangrance, including moisturizers. Fragrance have been linked with Dermatitis, allergies, Respiratory Distress and can have damaging effects on the reproductive system.
10. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES): These are found in personal care products which include shampoos, soaps, toothpaste, and others. These are irritants to the skin, Lungs and Eyes. These products are carcinogenic and can harm the Kidneys and Lungs.
Sources: thehealthsite.com, rd.com
Disclaimer: The content provided on healthdiary365.com is purely informative and educational in nature and should not be interpreted as medical advice. Please use the content only in consultation with an appropriate certified medical doctor or healthcare professional.